Of all of the island nations in the Pacific, Tonga is one of the more affordable ones to visit. The good news is that budget accommodation in Tonga is out there, however, some properties provide better value than others. You can bet on one thing – our suggestions below will help you to plan your travel in Tonga.
Tonga’s main island, Tongatapu provides a good choice of budget accommodation options. Here are the best budget accommodation in Tonga in Tongatapu for the budget traveller:
1)Tonga Holiday Villa – This large family-run, two-storey guesthouse has three breezy, spacious rooms upstairs for guests to reserve. Rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff that look after the property are great.
Bathroom facilities are shared and you have access to a full kitchen below to cook your own meals which is a major bonus for saving money and travelling in Tonga on a budget.
3) NOA Guesthouse – offers dorm beds, private rooms and a holiday house for budget-conscious travellers. There are two communal kitchens for guests to use. Other great facilities here include breakfast, airport transfers and laundry. Ask about scooter, car and bicycle hire.
This island is a paradise for those who love hiking, nature and the great outdoors. This is perfect for backpackers or budget travellers as prices for accommodation are reasonably cheap. Here are the best budget accommodation in Tonga if visiting Eua.
1) Seta Homestay – Get an entire Tongan house to yourself for about $30 per night! The host, Tupou is a super host on Airbnb, which means they’re rated in high demand and get fantastic reviews from past guests every time. You’ll have your own bathroom, lounge and fully-equipped kitchen and it’s only a 3-minute walk to the beach.
2) Alakoka Tahi Moana Guest House – A guest house located in a quiet village. The host, Kiko offers whale swimming tours, guided hikes and 4WD tours too. Rooms are clean and basic with access to hot showers and laundry facilities.
There is a restaurant on site where you can order meals and you can use the guest kitchen to can cook for yourself. Groceries can be purchased in town. Things to note: This place has no A/C and no wifi – but you’ll have a very authentic Tongan experience.
Ha’apai is where you’ll find quiet lagoons, white sand beaches and small islands topped with palms trees swaying in the breeze. Most of Ha’apai’s budget accommodation options are found around the islands of Uoleva and Lifuka. How convenient that both of these have epic snorkelling opportunities and gorgeous beaches. Here is the best budget accommodation in Tonga if you are travelling to Ha’apai.
1) Lindsay’s Guesthouse – A large guesthouse, only a 10 min walk from the town centre and has 12 small, reasonable rooms. eight with shared facilities and four with private facilities. Double rooms from TOP$40, singles from TOP$30. Showers are cold water only. Mosquito nets and fans are available on request. Breakfast is included, lunch costs T$8.
There’s a communal kitchen which is free to use for guests. The bakery next door is handy.
Telephone: (676) 60107 or 60667 Located on the corner of Loto Kolo and Tuita Rds
2) Taiana’s Resort – Enjoy a beautiful beach setting at Taiana’s Resort on Uoleva Island. The resort has five Tongan-style fales (bungalows) which are basic, but comfortable. Shower and toilet facilities are shared and located in a separate building nearby. Camping is an option here too. Airport/ferry transfers to the island are also offered.
Phone +67 68831722 or [email protected] Bookings can be confirmed on the phone or by email.
3) Matafonua Lodge – Ok, this one isn’t really for the budget travellers – but it’s worth a mention, cos it’s beautiful. It’s THE place to stay if you want beachfront accommodation and if you’re interested in diving and whale watching tours. This place comes with a fantastic breakfast and rave reviews from past guests.
Choose from family-run guesthouses or maybe a bungalow on the beach – it’s up to you. There are all kinds of budget accommodation in Tonga if you are heading to Vava’u.
1) Fifita Guesthouse – A friendly family home in Ha’akio village, only a 10-minute drive from Neiafu. You’ll get an authentic Tongan experience living in a village with a family of four. Fifita is a super host, which means she provides a great experience for her guests. You’ll have access to the family kitchen to cook your own meals and laundry facilities are available.
2) Maria’s Holiday House – The house is only 8 minutes away from the main town and the heart of Vava’u. Very clean, fresh, large rooms and fantastic hospitality. The kitchen has everything you need to cater for yourself. The mini supermarket next to the house is super handy.
3) Elim Hotel – Rooms have air conditioning and free wifi. A self-service kitchen is available for guests – a bonus to keep costs down in Tonga.
Check out Elim Hotel for the latest prices and availability.
And that’s our quick guide on how to travel in Tonga and where to find the. best budget accommodation in Tonga.
Don’t forget to read our post – How to travel to Tonga on a budget. Our expert tips and hints including how to get around, what to do and where to eat is covered to help you get the best value from your visit.
Rach is a self-confessed travelling foodie. Her passion for food and culture has seen her eat her way through 186+ countries. She's currently on a big food adventure to visit EVERY country in the world!
When Rach isn't travelling, you can find her at the beach, drinking coffee or wine with friends or chowing down on the best eats around her home city of Melbourne, Australia.